2021 May 13 — 16
This season (2020 - 2021), due to the uncertain situation for well known reasons, we decided to hold the XII Savshinsky Competition for Young Musicians-Performers virtually, that is, online, using as the main organizational platform our website and YouTube portal for posting videos of participants. This decision was not easy, because, observing the recently appearing online competitions, we have repeatedly evaluated and weighed all the pros and cons of this format. But the main argument - the risk of canceling the competition at the final stage of its preparation - outweighed everything, and we tried to concentrate as much as possible on the positive aspects of this new reality:
- Availability. Nowadays, the Internet is almost everywhere and for everyone, as well as the opportunity to make a sufficiently high-quality video recording of a performance without special costs, which, for example, 5-7 years ago, presented a great difficulty for many competitors.
- Freedom. Lack of a schedule of auditions as such, as well as rehearsals and practicing. As a result, we get the opportunity to listen to almost any number of participants, as well as to increase the permissible maximum duration of the programs (we always had to cut the timing to a minimum, which caused a fair displeasure among many participants).
- "Your piano". The absence of the problem of someone else's and unusual instrument (for pianists), an accompanist (for others), the acoustics of the hall - which is especially important for children, and puts the participants in a truly equal position.
- Nerves. Full opportunity to present to the jury the best version of your performance, the maximum result of work, almost complete elimination of annoying losses due to external reasons.
- Costs. Finally, there is no need to travel anywhere for participants who do not live in St. Petersburg, and the financial costs associated with it.
Added to all this is the prospect of opening new nominations, expanding the composition of the jury teams, attracting musicians who, for various reasons, do not have the time and opportunity to come to St. Petersburg.
But in any conditions and in any formats, we, as organizers, see the preservation and improvement of the quality of our competition, its compliance with the initially declared high professional requirements, as our invariable primary task. The first and most important of them is the most objective and impartial refereeing, the complete absence of a corruption element, ensuring equal conditions for all participants. To this end, developing new rules for the competition, we tried to preserve as much as possible all the positive aspects of the "live" event:
- Access to all video materials for everyone. (This will also make it possible to conduct voting among the Internet audience and compare its result with the decision of the jury).
- Requirements for the quality of video recordings, shooting angle, lighting, lack of editing and processing of sound and images (for more details, see "Rules").
- Clearly written dates of auditions for each nomination and group, with the results laid out immediately after the discussion.
- Narrow specialization of the jury teams, the minimum number of jury members in each of which is 5 people.
- Strict use of the well-proven point system with complete confidentiality of the personal points of each jury member.
- Discussion in the format of a video conference on the Zoom platform, as close as possible to the "live" version.
- Preservation of the possibility of obtaining a competition diploma in "paper form" - by mail, upon a special request, placed in a separate item of the application (see the section "Competition rules").
- Preservation of the multi-round structure for groups D, E, F solo nominations and group 3 nominations "chamber ensemble".
- Also, from the recordings of the participants who received the first prizes in their nominations and groups, a video will be collected and posted on the website, which would serve as the final concert and a special round for the Grand Prix (with mandatory voting by all members of the jury).
We sincerely hope that the new format of the Savshinsky Competition, due to the situation, will meet with understanding and interest in the circles of musicians from different countries. We are waiting for your applications!